Central Westisde United Church
Home Our Services Our Church Community Our Staff Team Our Historic Building Our Location Contact Us
Our Historic Building

A Short History of Central Westside United Church

The Wesleyan Methodist Church established a pastoral charge in 1841 in the emerging settlement of Sydenham in territory served until then by itinerant preachers on the south shore of Georgian Bay.

In 1847, the Upper Canadian Government deeded a site in the growing community to the Wesleyans who built a stone church in 1851 on the east side of the Sydenham River in what is now downtown Owen Sound.

In 1887, the congregation completed Scrope Street Church, a new, much larger church on the site to serve a period of rapid population growth in the community. It ultimately became known as Central Methodist and, following the formation of the United Church of Canada in 1925, as Central United Church.

By 1889, members of the congregation decided to remedy overcrowding problems by building a second church on the west side of the Sydenham River in an area of new growth for the community.

As the West Street congregation flourished and the city continued to expand, the congregation secured a larger site nearby for construction of a new, larger church dedicated in January of 1911. This became Westside United Church in 1925.

In 1994, the two congregations came together in the former Westside building as Central Westside United Church.


Home | Our Services | Our Church Community | Our Staff Team | Our Historic Building | Our Location | Contact Us
Central Westside Weblog
all contents © 2017 Central Westside United Church, all rights reserved